Using Blogs to Meet Learning Standards

The discussion of using blogging in the classroom is one that has been brought up in a handful of my courses thus far. It is something that I have put a decent amount of thought into, yet still have not found the time and energy to commit to.

Using blogging in my classroom and for my classroom is a goal that I want to have, but realistically will not have for another few years. The way that I hope to incorporate it would be something that requires more effort on my part, because I would want to give it my complete dedication.

Now I bet you are wondering what my ideas of using a blog would be…

I would use my personal blog account as a resource for other teachers. My classroom is unique and can relate to many other teachers because of how specialized it is, but can also be applied to many other rooms at the same time. I imagine myself blogging most about: special education, autism, organization, working with others, classroom management, and efficiency – the ‘classic teacher blog topics’.

However, I want my blog to stand out by having a strong focus on expression by utilizing the alternate ways blogging offers, similar to reason number six in Seven Reasons Teachers Should Blog. I would take pictures of all my documents, experiences, and layouts so my readers can get the perfect idea of what I am expressing. Also, I would love to add videos of myself giving a tour around my classroom, showing them a glimpse of my room, or discussing a topic.  

When I read other blogs, I find that I scroll through it for the pictures and only skim over the words. Usually, I don’t have the time to thoroughly read all of the content, but can get a gist of what is being explained by the pictures. With my blog, readers will only have to scroll through a few images – it would be like a comic strip of images!


In my classroom, which has six kindergarteners with autism, blogging would be used as a portfolio, as suggested by reason nine in Tsisana Palmer’s blog post 9 Reasons Why Teachers Should Blog. Each student would have their own page where they would post at least two book reflections a month. They would have the chance to type up answers to prompted questions, write a summery, or talk about how the story made them feel. This writing activity would meet the Performance Indicator ESL.E.PK.1.1.1.1: Students identify and use basic reading and listening strategies to make text comprehensible and meaningful.
It would serve as a forum for their families to look at their work and all they are accomplishing. Through the publication of their work they are also meeting the Performance Indicator ESL.PK-1.1.1.7: Students present information clearly in oral and graphic forms. The best part about it is that they will be able to see the progress they have made throughout the year as they look back! 

Image result for blogging in the classroom

For more information on the NYS Learning Standards check out NYLearns

Comments

  1. Very interesting idea to use your blog as a resource for teachers. I am sure that a lot of very busy teachers would really appreciate having a lot of relevant information all in one place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more about wanted to blog and not finding the time or motivation to do so. I think there is a statistic that the majority of blogs die out pretty quickly. I think it is hard sometime to keep the momentum. Your idea of an educational resource is great, it could even take off on its own.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts